Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Buying A Piano - Some Suggestions

Hello Piano Students!

Fall has finally arrived with our wonderful Portland rain and lovely colors of the changing leaves.

And new piano students have arrived with their enthusiasm and unique personalities.

This is my favorite time of year! :)

If you are looking for beginning piano to practice on, and you have a limited budget, I would suggest you look at this page from GuitarCenter.com:

Usedkeyboards

I recommend the Yamaha NP11 61-Key Piaggero Digital Piano for brand new beginners on a budget. Guitar Center has them new at $159.  Ask them for a comparable used keyboard if you'd like a cheaper price.

If you are willing to travel to Vancouver, WA, my high school friend Gayle Beacock of Beacock Music, will give any of my students a discount off of this keyboard.  If you are interested, email me and I will put you touch with her keyboard guy.

If price is not so much of an issue, I would always suggest a studio acoustic upright. I am partial to Yamahas, but there are lots of great pianos out there.  
Classic Pianos at 3003 SE Milwaukie Ave (off of 12th and Powell) is a wonderful store to browse.  Ask for Peggy, and tell her Teacher Zita from the Community Music Center sent you and she'll give you the grand tour, and a great deal if you choose to purchase your piano there. I believe they even offer rent to own deals.

My piano is a 1910 Wagner upright I purchased from Day Music about 20 years ago. It is a beautiful, tall, heavy upright with a very nice action and stays in tune quite nicely.  If you like the older, did I say HEAVY?!, uprights, "The Immortal Piano" on Belmont and 40th is a wonderful store.  

If you are limited on space, but budget is not such an issue, I would recommend:

Yamaha YDP-C71PE Arius Polished Ebony Digital Piano with Bench

Item # 107618779. This is similar to the digital pianos we have at CMC. They have them listed for $1,800 currently at Guitar Center. They carry this same piano at Classic Pianos, but I am not sure of their current price.


It is important for you to have a piano to practice on.  A full piano keyboard as 88 keys.  A "real" piano action allows you to increase or decrease volume with the weight of your fingers.  If you purchase an electric keyboard, please consider a full keyboard with weighted keys for a better learning and musical experience.

If you have any questions, please email me or ask me at your lesson!
 

Peace and Joy through Music!
 

Teacher Zita :)
My Piano!









No comments: